The Name Game

Tiffany wanted me to post this public-service announcement…

We’ve decided to let you all participate in a poll to decide the name of our next child. Please choose one first and middle name from each category. All entries must be submitted before mid-April, 2009. More complete instructions may be provided in December.

Girl

Middle names:
Shawn/Sean
Daniel
Joseph
Michael
Andrew

We look forward to your responses. We really do.

About Jonathan Goff

This entry was posted in Administrivia, Family. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Name Game

1. Ki says:

I like

Morgan Rae

and

Jackson Andrew.

2. Rand Simberg says:

No write-ins? 😉

Rand,
    Write-ins are allowed.

Ki,
    Tiff liked Morgan Rae as well.

4. john hare says:

I’m terrible at names, so congratulaions.

5. Swatch says:

Wow… I must admit you set up a few evil names there…

Gwynevere Goff
    “Liberty Lily”
    etc.

…but I don’t suggest those…

Girl:
    My favorite of those would have to be Lily, even though its a middle name. Morgan would work well enough with that, but perhaps a Jennifer?

Boy:
    Ryan is a surefire name nowadays it would seem, and Gideon is always a neat name (but it sets up that GG again). I’m going to have to suggest Shawn though.

So admittedly my favorite names ended up being middle names, but either way, congrats!

6. Timothy J. Massey says:

My wife is due in December, and we’re picking out names, too. It’s an interesting technique: one we might have to use! 🙂

Timothy,
    This post was mostly me trying to find a creative way to let people know that we’re expecting again. I probably should’ve made it an open poll, where people just suggest names they like. We’ve already got our preferences, but figured it would be fun to give others a chance to provide input.

8. Anonymous says:

Miriam Eleanor

and

Gideon Sean

My write in vote is for Clara or Betsey. I also like Lily Liberty Goff a lot. But both Lily and Liberty work best as single names. Resist the modern trend of giving girls middle names.

-Adam Greenwood

9. Habitat Hermit says:

I’m likely terrible at picking names but I’d go for Miriam Lily and Ian Daniel.

Now that might perhaps sound a bit strange or unusual but middle names are just that and not a combined first name (and they often end up as initials).

Miriam is the name I really like the most. As far as I know it means “good mother”?

I’ve got a middle name and I’d say go with it, it’s nice to have some choice (I used to be called by my middle name during childhood).

10. Habitat Hermit says:

Oh and a write-in! A female name: Anahi

It means pure/unblemished and is of Persian/Zoroastrian origin (I know there’s a similar name with a differently accented “i” of South American origin but don’t know what that name means).

Suggesting it simply because I’ve had the incredibly good fortune (God and universe at the steering wheel) of meeting a Swede with that name two weeks ago and simply meeting her (and nothing more, she’s somewhere in Sweden now) changed my life abruptly and decidedly for the better ^_^

11. Joseph Mahaney says:

Awesome! Congrats…

Morgan Rae

Ian Daniel

Continue to procreate my friend…smart progeny is the way to go!

12. Michael Mealling says:

I’m partial to “Ian Michael Goff” since it sounds like it belongs to an action hero…

For a girl it would be “Morgan Rae” as well….

-MM

13. Iain McClatchie says:

I like Ryan Alexander Goff and Miriam Elizabeth Goff.

14. Robin says:

Oh cool, thanks for the participatory expecting. Can we switch middles names and first names? I like Anne Liberty in case of girl. In case of boy, please consider this write-in: Rand Justice Goff

15. Gewis says:

Jon,

I’ve got a grandpa named Lee, and a great uncle named Bruce. We’re thinking Bruce Lee Farnsworth would be a great name for a son for us. If it’s twins, the other would of course be Chuck Norris Farnsworth.

Congratulations, Jon.

-Danny

16. Rand Simberg says:

I haven’t expressed an opinion, but with all due respect and appreciation (if I inspired it) to Robin, my sincere recommendation (based on over half a century of experience) is to not burden anyone, boy or girl, with the name “Rand.”

I don’t think that it worked out that well for Ayn, either.

17. Ashley says:

I don’t really think of Morgan as a girl’s name (although I’m a male named Ashley, and that’s definitely become a girl’s name).

Gwynevere is a great first name; Lily, Elizabeth and Anne are good middle names.

Gideon is a terrific name for a boy, but if I were going to use it, I probably wouldn’t combine it with Daniel or Joseph – it seems a little too biblical. I like Shawn and Michael, though.

18. Henry Cate says:

My two cents:

Miriam Elizabeth

or

Gideon Daniel

Congratulations and good luck.

19. Anonymous says:

John Jacob Jingleheimer Goff?

-Doug Jones, being very unserious